Episode 007: Craft Your Dating Story
Please remember our disclaimer: Everything we say on the podcast and all content on our web sites or social media is intended as general information only. Consuming our content does not constitute a client relationship. The general information we share is not a substitute for professional medical or mental health advice, diagnosis or treatment.
iTunes listeners: Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE, RATE & REVIEW. As a reminder, here’s a quick video on how and why to do that. BECAUSE! When you leave a review, and email me that you did it, I will send you a free 30-day ebook with one healthy habit to incorporate each day. It’s a roadmap to boundless energy and a new level of wellness. I hope you’ll leave a review (and email me!) so you can snag it.
Quick reminder of the dream team that makes all this happen:
- Web Developer:Maher Khamiss of OrbitZen
- Graphic Design:Alyssa Hopkins of The Lovely Lyss
- Online Marketing:Abby McLain of The Laptop Entrepreneur
- Podcast Music & Production: Drew Kellough
If you listened to previous episodes, you’ll recall that we “theme” our discussions by calendar month. And for the month of June, we’re talking about Relationships – specifically, marriages or romantic relationships that might be headed there. But a lot of what we talk about this month is applicable to other family and friend relationships as well. We’re starting this month’s episodes off with a discussion on How to Know If Your Partner Is (Or Is STILL) The One.
Announcements: Reminder to join our podcast Facebook group, if you haven’t already, and to use that group to post any comments, questions or reactions once you’ve listened to each week’s episode. We try to go live in there every now and then when we are together!
Updates: I run an online membership program where I currently coach people through quarterly health and wellness “challenges.” However, I’m considering increasing the frequency of those challenges to one every month. That way, people could hop in almost any time of year, whenever they find themselves in a season of being ready to make some positive habit changes. Would love your feedback — as a comment here on this blog post! Do challenges monthly? Or keep them quarterly?
Here’s what we discuss in Episode 007: “Why & How to Craft Your Dating Story”:
Our tip this week is to actually write down every detail you can remember from your Dating Story — the time from when you first met to when you got married (or even up to present day).
Robert Sternberg posits a Triangular Theory of Love:
- Intimacy – closeness, connectedness, bondedness
- Passion – drive that leads to romance and physical attraction, or also refers to the excitement, the fun, the playful energy
- Commitment – the decision to love another person and to continue loving them
At any given point, it’s okay if we’re existing more in one side of the triangle than others (i.e., there are some seasons of strict Commitment, where passion or Intimacy might be lacking). That’s normal, but we’re working toward having all three sides of the triangle eventually intact.
Listen to the full episode for Meg & Eric’s Dating Story!
When you write your story, focus on the initial things that attracted you to this person (physical and otherwise); recall details from some of your first interactions together; note how and why things shifted, or important milestones.
It’s fun to remember those details and those memories, but the intention is to re-live what made you fall in love with this person — the truest choice you could make, because that decision was before the mess, before the hurt.
The details of what made you fall for each other also show your partner what things about them were important to you, and how you can preserve those attributes (physical, personality, habits, etc.) to keep (or re-gain) intimacy.
The Dating Story creates the foundation of who you are as a couple, and gives you something to go back to again and again as you navigate conflict or seasons of feeling disconnected.
Let us know what your favorite tip was from this episode re: feeding yourself or little ones this summer! Post in the Nourish Joy Podcast Community on Facebook or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We love to hear from you!
Meghan’s Highlight: It rained all week the week the kids got out of school — except for one sunny afternoon the day we reconnected with some old friends. We picked up right where we left off after years of not seeing each other.
Haley’s Lowlight: She tries not to watch the news much, but this week, it just felt very heavy — school shootings, racial disparity, sexual misconduct. She found herself feeling small and overwhelmed. The fix is to refocus on what we CAN do — be as sensitive, as informed and as loving as possible, especially as we model these attitudes and behaviors for our little ones.
Free Gift for you: We’re shooting for:
- A bunch of Subscribers, so please click Subscribe in whatever platform you listen on (email email@example.com if you have trouble). This is helpful for growing the show, in terms of the type of guests and opportunities we can bring you as listeners. The more subscribers, the better the show gets! Here’s that video I created on how and why to RATE, REVIEW & SUBSCRIBE.
- A bunch of REVIEWS … like, 200. This is the number-one way to make sure more people find out about us, and grow this wellness-minded community. If you leave a review, screenshot it (or copy and paste) and send in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, I will send you a FREE 30-day ebook with one new habit to focus on each day.It’s really robust but also really actionable. I know you will LOVE it.
Let us know what you thought about this week’s episode on creating your own Dating Story.
Have a nourishing and joyful weekend!
- If this is the month you’re ready to really take control of your health goals, I’d love to have you in one of my online Challenge groups! Click here for more info.
- If you’d like to get my weekly emails, with highlights from the blog, podcast, Instagram + a first look at any new resources or announcements, click here to email me and just say “ADD”!
- If you’re not already part of the Nourish Joy Podcast Community on Facebook, come join us! We go live in the group as much as we can to answer your questions about the episodes, or whatever’s on your mind!
- If you’re on Instagram, I post in my Stories daily, and would love for you to follow along and connect with me over there!